Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fully Invested

Do you remember a few years back when the slogan for BYU football fans was "Fully Invested?" What does that mean, anyway?
According to Answers.com, fully invested is "Said of an investor or a portfolio when funds in cash or Cash Equivalents are minimal and assets are totally committed to other investments, usually stock. To be fully invested is to have an optimistic view of the market."

I love this definition, especially as it relates to motherhood. Let's change it up a bit to reflect what we're doing with our lives right now: Fully invested= said of a mother when funds in cash are minimal and assets (time, talents, energy) are totally committed to other investments, usually children. To be fully invested is to have an optimistic view of the future.
If you're like me, your funds in cash are minimal. I have a budget to follow, bills to pay, loans hanging over my head. Our family would certainly be better off financially if I were to pursue a career instead of staying home with my kids. Instead, I choose to commit the only assets I have available to give to my children.
And I do this because I have an optimistic view of the future. I believe that by raising a righteous generation of kids who know the truth and cling to it, the world will be a better place. I believe that I instill in my children a sense of their innate worth by spending time with them-- teaching, playing, dancing, singing, etc. I believe that I can teach my children to serve others when they see me serving, to love those who are different because they see me loving, to pray because they see me praying.
What we do as mothers is critically important. Are we taking that job seriously? The other day I had some one on one time with my middle daughter. The baby was asleep and her big sister was at school. She wanted to paint, so I got out the watercolors and paper and set her up at the kitchen table. Usually I will do dishes or some other chore while she paints. I figure, I'm still in the same room as her so we're still spending time together. But on this day, I sat down beside her and painted a picture myself. My artistic skills are lacking, but we had a marvelous time! She opened up and chatted with me about her little girl life and I was reminded why I do what I do.
Because I love my kids. I am fully invested in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment