Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do It With Your Kids Wednesday: Milk Caps

I'm going to start something (if I can be this organized) called Do It With Your Kids Wednesday. I love doing crafts and projects, and if we're going to be honest, it's always easier to do it without any little "helpers". But, lucky me, I have lots of little helpers hanging around, so I just want to share with you some ideas of things we do together. Maybe you can share your ideas too.

Today's feature is Milk Caps. This is the easiest, cheapest toy ever. First, find an empty container (mine is an old peanut butter jar). Then, start saving your milk caps/soda bottle caps. I wash mine in the dishwasher then put them in the jar. Here are some things we do with milk caps:

1. The baby LOVES to take things out of containers. She spends a lot of time on the kitchen floor just taking these out and putting them back in. As you can see, the dog also enjoys this game.
2. Patterns. Learning to recognize and duplicate patterns is a skill that helps with math later on. Sometimes I will get out the milk caps with my older girls and create a pattern and see if they can copy it, or if they can complete the pattern.
3. Toss game. You can either stand a few feet away from the jar and toss the milk caps in, or you can stand up on a chair over the jar and see if you can get them to land in the jar.
4. Birthday party game. For Anna's birthday, we planted some fake flowers in little bowls and had the the kids toss the milk caps into the bowls. They got a little prize every time one made it in.

Easy peasy! I'm sure there's lots more to do with them, let me know if you think of anything. And, be sure to start collecting because this is so entertaining for kids.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea. We use the top of juice cans. The young kids love to shake them together to hear the great sound they make. And for the older kids we put the upper and lower case letters on one side and then play memory.

    ReplyDelete