Sunday, January 23, 2011

Activity Days: Snowman Craft

I just received a new calling and I am thrilled! Honestly, any time someone asks me about it, I gush out some lame reply like "I love it, love it, love it!" That's right, friends, I am now the Activity Days Leader. Woot! If you don't know about Activity Days, you can read about it here. Basically, I get to do fun crafts/activities with the 8-11 year old girls. So fun!
Our first activity was about a week ago. We made these adorable snowman crafts, which were easy, cheap, and fun for the girls. I did a short lesson about how no two snowflakes are alike, just like no two people are alike. We each have our own talents and experiences to bring when we get together and we need to appreciate everyone. And we ate doughnuts and hot cocoa. Total success!
 Here are some of the girls painting. Don't mock the Halloween tablecloth, it saved my kitchen table!


 The longer we were there, the more creative the snowmen became.




If you want to make a snowman of your own, here's how:


1. Tape 6 craft sticks together.
2. Paint the non-painted side. 2/3 white, 1/3 black.
3. Paint an additional craft stick black.
4. When paint is dry, glue the black craft stick across the top to make a hat brim. Add google eyes and paint on a nose and mouth.


I did a trial run of these with my kids a week before the activity and learned that even a 4 year old can do it. Not so much with my 2 year old, who painted everything black and then licked her paintbrush clean.


Thanks to Serving Pink Lemonade for this idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment