Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes


When my daughter started full-day kindergarten this year, she kept getting headaches. After a few weeks of me trying to take care of it on my own, I took her into the doctor. It turned out she wasn't getting enough protein in her diet, particularly at breakfast before a big day of school. So, I morphed from being a "Get your Cocoa Puffs yourself" sort of mom to a "I lovingly prepare a hot breakfast for you each day (except weekends, when we gorge on Marshmallow Mateys)" sort of mom.
You know, it really hasn't been too bad. Her headaches went away almost immediately, and all in our family have had better health this winter than ever before. So, I really don't mind too much.
This pancake recipe is one of my favorites. The whole wheat flour makes them healthy, the buttermilk makes them light and fluffy, and the recipe makes a ton-- so I usually freeze the leftovers and we heat them up in the toaster on mornings when we're busy. I can usually get 3-4 breakfasts out of one batch of pancakes. Gotta love that!

Whole Wheat Pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups regular flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups buttermilk*
1/3 cup oil

1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine eggs, buttermilk, and oil in another bowl. Then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Pour 1/3 cup batter onto large greased skillet. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Cook some more till both sides are golden brown.
Serve with fruit, applesauce, syrup, chocolate chips, or powdered sugar.

*If you don't have buttermilk, don't worry. Pour 1/4 cup vinegar into a 4 cup glass measuring bowl. Add enough milk to equal 4 cups and let it sit for 5 minutes. It will turn into buttermilk for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment